Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Deluded World of Air Conditioning

Well, it rained, but it didn't cool off. It doesn't seem quite as bad as an Iowa summer, but it's still pretty hot. I guess this is our lesson in what it's like to live in the rest of the world. Even Europe doesn't have much air conditioning, much less places like India or even Korea. Actually, most buildings and businesses are air conditioned, but not everybody has a/c at home. Even wall units (the equivalent of window units) are really expensive ($500).

This article, The Deluded World of Air Conditioning, makes me feel a little better about roasting every night in our little oven of an apartment. At least we're not contributing to global warming like you deluded people sitting in front of the air conditioner at home.

Who am I kidding? I'd be deluded if I could afford it! Global warming is just a myth, right? In any case, frying the planet is a small price to pay for air conditioning.

Isabelle suggested that we eat samgyetang, hot chicken soup, because today was the last really hot day of the year. We'll see if that holds true or not, but in the meantime I think I'll stick to ice cream.

A few more Jeju pics, and then some pics from our trip to Seoul when Mom was here, and then we're almost caught up on our recent pictures. Summer intensive session plus the heat has been draining, but I'll try to get on it tomorrow (in the air conditioned comfort of school!).

1 Comments:

Blogger GowdTeef$ said...

Joel, you need to check out Live For Speed. http://www.liveforspeed.net/?page=fp
It has to be the most incredible racing sim I have driven, and that is pretty significant. I was beginning to think I would never have fun with a racing game again, GT was just not cutting it anymore. They have a free demo that is pretty decent, you can play online and everything, just limited to 3 cars.
The range of options and realism is incredible, it seems basic at first but once you get immersed in it a little, you realize how good a job they have done with it.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home