The Summer Movie Drought of 2006
Daejeon is a pretty big city (1.5 million), but there's not as much to do as you might think. Maybe that's because we aren't Korean, but in any case, we've exhausted most of the fun things to see and do in this neck of the woods.
One of our main sources of entertainment is watching movies. There's been an English-movie drought this summer, though--for the past two months, the only English movies that have come through have been animated, which means they've been dubbed in Korean. I was getting so desperate to go to the movies that I even would have seen Garfield II if it hadn't been dubbed! Fortunately, now that summer's almost over, the tide seems to be turning: Two whole English movies have played in theaters in the past two weeks!
Last weekend we saw Miami Vice. I thought it was quite good. I never really watched the show, so I didn't have any expectations. Sometimes it was a little slow, but it was super stylish and a fun action movie. Then today we went to My Super Ex-Girlfriend. It wasn't nearly as bad as it sounded; in fact, it was sort of funny, especially in the beginning. Toward the end it started to drag and I thought it would never wrap up, but overall it was a fun movie--it would make a good rental.
There's only one dvd rental place in our neighborhood, and the pickings are slim, especially on the weekends. Last night we rented The Alibi, which is about a guy who creates alibis for people who cheat on their spouses. It was OK but predictable (and Rebecca Romijn really can't act, which was a little distracting).
We watched a dvd of The Devil Wears Prada recently as well. It wasn't bad, but I want to watch it again when there aren't people getting up in the theater and walking in front of the camera, and when the color and sound aren't wonky. (I know, that's what you get for watching illegal copies. But really, that movie is not coming to Korea. Ever.)
Project Runway has been more satisfying to watch than any of these movies, though. I'm still mad at the judges (they keep digging themselves deeper and deeper by rewarding Vincent for his crap designs), but the show is still so fun. Every time after I watch a show, I have to e-mail my sister to discuss the outcome. So if you haven't checked out this show on Bravo, you should, even if you're not interested in fashion. It's totally addictive.
One of our main sources of entertainment is watching movies. There's been an English-movie drought this summer, though--for the past two months, the only English movies that have come through have been animated, which means they've been dubbed in Korean. I was getting so desperate to go to the movies that I even would have seen Garfield II if it hadn't been dubbed! Fortunately, now that summer's almost over, the tide seems to be turning: Two whole English movies have played in theaters in the past two weeks!
Last weekend we saw Miami Vice. I thought it was quite good. I never really watched the show, so I didn't have any expectations. Sometimes it was a little slow, but it was super stylish and a fun action movie. Then today we went to My Super Ex-Girlfriend. It wasn't nearly as bad as it sounded; in fact, it was sort of funny, especially in the beginning. Toward the end it started to drag and I thought it would never wrap up, but overall it was a fun movie--it would make a good rental.
There's only one dvd rental place in our neighborhood, and the pickings are slim, especially on the weekends. Last night we rented The Alibi, which is about a guy who creates alibis for people who cheat on their spouses. It was OK but predictable (and Rebecca Romijn really can't act, which was a little distracting).
We watched a dvd of The Devil Wears Prada recently as well. It wasn't bad, but I want to watch it again when there aren't people getting up in the theater and walking in front of the camera, and when the color and sound aren't wonky. (I know, that's what you get for watching illegal copies. But really, that movie is not coming to Korea. Ever.)
Project Runway has been more satisfying to watch than any of these movies, though. I'm still mad at the judges (they keep digging themselves deeper and deeper by rewarding Vincent for his crap designs), but the show is still so fun. Every time after I watch a show, I have to e-mail my sister to discuss the outcome. So if you haven't checked out this show on Bravo, you should, even if you're not interested in fashion. It's totally addictive.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home