Saturday, January 21, 2006

Gyeonji Fishing (Joel)


I got to go ice fishing with one of the adult students and their gyeonji fishing club last weekend. It was a lot of fun. They use traditional korean fishing rods called gyeonji rods which look a bit like twisted fly swatters. You catch big fish with them in warmer weather, but for ice fishing it doesn't really matter what you use. Ice fishing yields little fish called bingeoh. They're probably 3-4 inches long and quite tasty, but eating a whole fish is a hard to stomach. We had them grilled and batter fried, but they eat them live with a bit of red pepper paste.
I'm laughing pretty hard here since I think I just almost fell on my butt and Tavis is commentating on my courageous effort to haul this lunker in.

It was cool getting out of the city. The countryside is really beautiful. I think in the spring it will be really awesome. The road up to the lake we fished at is lined by cherryblossom trees most of the way.

I hope we see them when they're flowering like this in the spring.

Dig a bowl next to your fishing hole to hold the fish and then fry them all up when you're done.

It wasn't all edge of your seat excitement. Most people were there just to have fun with their families or drink some soju with friends away from the crowded city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home