Strange Compliments
We've had some weird compliments since we've been here (i.e., Joel looks like Woody Harrelson, I look like Bridget Jones, we look like an "alternative couple," etc.), but recently they've gotten really weird.
First, in the past couple of weeks three different people have told Joel that he looks like Daniel Henney, a popular American actor on some Korean TV show. (He doesn't speak Korean, so all his lines are in English with subtitles while everyone else's are in Korean.)

See the resemblance? I totally can. They're both male and they're both American. Of course there's the small difference that Daniel Henney is KOREAN American and Joel is Caucasian, but otherwise I'm pretty sure they could be twins.
I'm not sure, though--I think the compliment I've been getting is even a little weirder. I got my hair cut a few weeks ago (for $7!! And it's a great cut!) and there are lots of layers around my face:

Right after I got it cut, a saleslady at a shop told me I had a small face. I said thanks, although I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not. Then our boss told us that some of the students are jealous because I have such a small face. Hmm, I guess it is a compliment, but it's not something I would have thought of as desirable. Flat abs, a small nose, great hair, sure--but a small face?? Since then a couple of other people have said the same thing. I wanted to tell them that they should just get a haircut if they want a small face, but none of them spoke much English. Maybe next time!
First, in the past couple of weeks three different people have told Joel that he looks like Daniel Henney, a popular American actor on some Korean TV show. (He doesn't speak Korean, so all his lines are in English with subtitles while everyone else's are in Korean.)
Here's Daniel Henney:

See the resemblance? I totally can. They're both male and they're both American. Of course there's the small difference that Daniel Henney is KOREAN American and Joel is Caucasian, but otherwise I'm pretty sure they could be twins.
I'm not sure, though--I think the compliment I've been getting is even a little weirder. I got my hair cut a few weeks ago (for $7!! And it's a great cut!) and there are lots of layers around my face:

Right after I got it cut, a saleslady at a shop told me I had a small face. I said thanks, although I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not. Then our boss told us that some of the students are jealous because I have such a small face. Hmm, I guess it is a compliment, but it's not something I would have thought of as desirable. Flat abs, a small nose, great hair, sure--but a small face?? Since then a couple of other people have said the same thing. I wanted to tell them that they should just get a haircut if they want a small face, but none of them spoke much English. Maybe next time!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home