Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Bridget Jones, Quail Eggs, and Other Miscellanea

Today William, Isabel's brother, who is some kind of manager at the school, decided that Travis looks like Keanu Reeves, Joel looks like Woody Harrelson, and I look like Renee Zellweger as Bridget Jones. I guess that's a compliment? But seeing as none of us looks like those actors, it doesn't really matter one way or the other!

For lunch we had rice (of course), marinated bean sprouts, some kind of stew, and pork (or maybe beef) with hard-boiled quail eggs, which I thought were mushrooms at first because they were the same color as the meat since they were cooked together. The quail eggs were surprisingly delicious. Isabel and William's mother made the food, so maybe Isabel can tell me how to make it. Of course, if it involves an oven, microwave, or toaster, I won't be able to make it, because we only have a gas range in our kitchen!

Joel and Travis stayed at school to do martial arts (Travis does hapkido) and to work on a taekwondo demonstration for the new school. I got stopped by a policeman on my way home, and of course he didn't speak English. I did manage to say "Do you speak English?" in Korean, but it didn't help, because he stopped for a moment, then kept talking in Korean. So I called Isabel and she talked to him on the phone. Apparently he was walking around patrolling the neighborhood and I looked suspicious because I was putting on my sunglasses as he walked by (that's me, international woman of mystery!). But he seemed very friendly and nice about it, so maybe he was just bored. So don't worry Mom, our neighborhood is very safe. And if I ever can't get ahold of William or Isabel for some reason, there's a toll-free number you can call in English and they'll help you communicate in Korean.

Obviously Joel and Travis made it back from Japan safe and sound. They got their visas so that's all set. I just hope I don't end up having to leave the country to get mine--it sounds very exhausting and not as cool as I might have thought. I will post some pictures from Fukuoka later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home